Being the owner of his own successful tire business meant my dad had to work long hours. Six day weeks were common and many times after church on Sundays he would go check the business.
The busiest work day was Saturday. So, you can imagine our surprise when early one Saturday afternoon, Dad arrived home. He said “I feel fine. There is no problem. I just have a strong feeling I need to be home today.”
So while Mother began to mop and wax our Spanish tile floors, my dad and I went outside to do yard work. An hour later terrifying screams sent us running into the house. Mother was standing barefoot on a damp floor. In her hands was a goose-necked lamp. Dad yelled for me to not move. He knew immediately which switch to pull to keep Mother from being electrocuted.
It turns out the lamp had some defective wiring and when combined with a damp floor, it spelled trouble. When Mother picked it up with both hands, the current completely ran through her body. As a ten year old, I knew nothing about electricity. If Dad had not been there, I would have run straight to her and both of us would have died. That experience made me realize the importance of knowing where the switch box is and how to use it.
I am so thankful to The Lord that my Dad felt the sense of urgency to be home… the only Saturday afternoon he ever took off from work.
By the way, make sure your switch box is NOT covered by a picture or curtain. Do your children know what the switch box is and what to do in case of an emergency?